Friday, February 3, 2012

Delicious 200 Calorie Burger! At the bottom I've added a recipe for a low calorie Thousand Island dipping sauce.

Yes, it's true. This burger pocket is so delicious, you would NOT think it was 200 calories. My husband asked me if I was lying to him when I told him the calorie count. I had a really great picture all set up and my camera wouldn't work, so I ate it (not the camera..lol). I have the prep pictures though!
What you will need:
8oz Lean hamburger meat (93/7)
1 Small onion diced (or half large)
2 Cups mushrooms diced
1 Tsp garlic (I personally love a lot of garlic so I use more)
8 Lumpia Wrappers (You can find them in the freezer section) let them defrost at room temperature for about 30 minutes before use
4 Cheese Singles (I prefer Borden's non-fat: cheap and low calories)
Garlic Powder and Salt to flavor (or just try garlic salt)
Olive oil cooking spray
Serves 4: 200 Calories per pocket

Begin with preheating your oven to 350 degrees and heat a large nonstick skillet over medium to high heat.
Spray the skillet with olive oil cooking spray and add the your onions. I like to let my onions sit covered until they get nice and hot, then toss, repeat, then toss again. I continue this until they being to turn translucent. Then add the mushrooms and sautee together with the onions. Season with salt. Once you add the mushrooms do not cover. This causes too much moisture in the mixture. If you like a strong garlic flavor, add the garlic toward the end and visa versa. Add your hamburger meat. Don't cook too well done because you will finish it all off in the oven.


As you are cooking all of your skillet ingredients, begin pulling your lumpia sheets apart. I like to take this time to pull all of the sheets apart in the package for easier future use. You may not have the time when you are doing this recipe for the first time, but you'll get there =) Now, take two lumpia sheets and place on a clean, dry surface, one on top of the other.


Place a cheese slice in the center. Scoop your hamburger mixture on top of the cheese slice. The cheese slice is a good benchmark for how far you should spread the mixture.


This is where the adult should take over if you're letting the kids help =). Fold the side closest to you, away from you, as in the picture.


Fold the left and right side toward the center. Dip your fingers in the water and wet the end farthest away from you. It takes just a second for the wrapper to get sticky enough to roll over. If it doesn't get sticky add a little more water.


Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and place the pockets on it as you complete each one. Place them with the folds down and lightly spray the tops with cooking spray. The oven will bake them closed. This is the reason you put the cheese on the bottom so it ends up on top after rolling. Through trial and error I found that the bottom gets crispy and the top falls apart if it's too moist. Bake the pockets in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Flip the pockets and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.


Let them cool and enjoy! I like to serve a little low calorie thousand island with them. Mix 1 cup Greek yogurt, 1 Tbsp ketchup and as many diced pickles as you like. It is "awesome"...the awesome quote is from my husband. Let me know how yours turn out and leave a comment. Thank you again for reading my recipe and hope you become a member!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback! Follow the "Questions" tab to ask me questions.